1/3 Photos of Mussels With Chorizo , Tomato and Wine
Expat in Holland's Note:
This is an Emeril recipe that got rave reviews from my family. We love mussels, and here in Holland they are locally cultivated. So during the season we try to have them once a week. I try new recipes frequently to change the pace. This recipe is my husbands favorite and gets requested often. It has an amazing flavor. I have changed it a little to suit my family's taste from the original recipe. Have plenty of crusty bread, as the juice is oh sooooo good! This recipe serves either 2 meal portions or a first course for 4-6 people. Rule of thumb in Holland is to serve 1 kg of mussels per person, for a dinner portion.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, casings removed & chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 4 lbs fresh mussels, scrubbed & debearded
- French bread
- 1In a large saute pan, cook the chorizo until brown over medium-high heat, about 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan.
- 2Add butter and when melted, add the onions, shallot, fennel seeds, and pepper. Cook, stirring, until veggies are tender.
- 3Add the garlic and tomatoes, and cook, stirring, for 2minute.
- 4Add mussels to pan. Add the wine, 1/4 cup cream, and parsley, and bring to a boil. Stir mussels, cover, and cook until the shells have opened, about 6-8 minutes.
- 5Remove mussels from pan to serving bowls. Discard any shells that do not open.
- 6In pan with juice, bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 3 minutes. Add sausage and cream. Bring to boil for 1 minute. Pour juice over mussels.
- 7Serve immediately with hot French bread for dipping.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mussels With Chorizo , Tomato and Wine
Serving Size: 1 (757 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1808.2
- Calories from Fat 933
- Total Fat 103.7 g
- Saturated Fat 44.9 g
- Cholesterol 481.7 mg
- Sodium 4049.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 140.2 g