Recipe by English_Rose
A nice change from cooking mussels in white wine, the red wine makes a more robust dish especially when accompanied by the garlic bread!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 lbs mussels, cleaned and scrubbed
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Italian-style crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups red Burgundy wine
- 4 slices country bread, thick cut
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
- Stir the crushed garlic cloves and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the mussels, tomatoes and the red Burgundy wine.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes or until all the mussels have opened.
- Ladle into serving bowls, scatter over a little freshly chopped parsley.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Toast the bread doorsteps on both sides.
- Remove from the broiler and whilst hot, rub with the garlic cloves.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper.