Recipe by Jorja Jones
If you love mussels, this recipe is a keeper. Very easy and lots of flavor. My kids love it! Add a salad and a glass of wine and you have a meal. I buy a 2lb. bag of frozen mussels from the seafood section at the local Super Walmart.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 lbs mussels (preferably cultivated, scrubbed and beards removed)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil leaf (loosely packed)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (Emeril's Fish Rub)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion and garlic in butter in a 5- to 6-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add wine and mussels and cook, covered, over moderately high heat until mussels just open wide, 6 to 8 minutes. (Discard any mussels that have not opened after 8 minutes).
- Transfer mussels with a slotted spoon to a serving bowl, then transfer cooking liquid to a blender along with cream, basil, pepper and salt and blend until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids).Pour over mussels.
- Serve, eat and enjoy!