This dish of plump and juicy mussels in a fragrant broth comes from Kevin Dundon's program "Modern Irish Food".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Clean the mussels and discard any that don’t close when sharply tapped.
- 2Place the mussels in a large saucepan and cover with the wine. Cook for 3–4 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice, until the mussels are open. Transfer them to a bowl and discard any that do not open. Strain the cooking liquid into a separate bowl to remove any grit or impurities and set this and the mussels aside.
- 3Melt half the butter in a pan over a low heat and add the shallots and garlic.
- 4Add the bacon, increase the heat to medium and cook for a few minutes until the bacon is crisp.
- 5Now add the tomatoes and cook until softened.
- 6Mash the flour and the remaining butter in a bowl, then add this mixture to the pan, piece by piece. At the same time, slowly add the mussel cooking liquid. If you find that the sauce is too thick, add a little water to loosen the mixture.
- 7Reheat the mussels in the sauce, then sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately with some crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mussels With Bacon and White Wine
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.9
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 136.9 mg
- Sodium 1220.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 44.0 g