Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This dish of plump and juicy mussels in a fragrant broth comes from Kevin Dundon's program "Modern Irish Food".
- 3 lbs mussels, scrubbed
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Clean the mussels and discard any that don’t close when sharply tapped.
- Place the mussels in a large saucepan and cover with the wine. Cook for 3–4 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice, until the mussels are open. Transfer them to a bowl and discard any that do not open. Strain the cooking liquid into a separate bowl to remove any grit or impurities and set this and the mussels aside.
- Melt half the butter in a pan over a low heat and add the shallots and garlic.
- Add the bacon, increase the heat to medium and cook for a few minutes until the bacon is crisp.
- Now add the tomatoes and cook until softened.
- Mash the flour and the remaining butter in a bowl, then add this mixture to the pan, piece by piece. At the same time, slowly add the mussel cooking liquid. If you find that the sauce is too thick, add a little water to loosen the mixture.
- Reheat the mussels in the sauce, then sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately with some crusty bread.