Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Every year we host a mussel party. The number of attendees continues to increase as word gets out about how great this recipe is. I always serve these mussels with plenty of crusty breads (french loaves, focaccia etc.) for dipping as the juices are just amazing.
- 2 lbs fresh mussels
- 2 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 4 shallots (or small onions)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 ounces dry white wine
- 1 bouquet garni (small piece of celery, small slice of carrot, sprig of fresh parsley, bay leaf tied together with co)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Place mussels in bowl and cover with cold water.
- Discard any that are open or cracked.
- Scrub under cold running water and remove beards.
- Melt butter in a large pot, stir in shallots and garlic and saute gently until soft.
- Add wine and bouquet garni.
- Bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add mussels and cover pot.
- Cook over high heat until mussels open.
- Remove mussels from pot with a slotted spoon, set aside (keep warm).
- Discard any mussels that did not open.
- Boil the remaining liquid (with bouquet garni) until reduced to half, then return mussels to the pan and heat through.
- Sprinkle with parsley and stir.
- Place mussels into a warmed serving dish and pour liquid over top.
Super fast, super tasty, super easy, no need to be afraid of trying mussels with this recipe. I love the addition of garlic, which I usually don't use in mussels, but will from now on. The butter makes a nice rich addition to the sauce. You can easily use more than the two pounds of mussels but the same amount of other ingredients as you will have a wonderful quantity of sauce, even after reducing. This is one of those simple, authentic recipes that really tastes like France for a minimum of time and trouble. Be sure you have plenty of cold, dry white wine to serve with your mussels and crusty bread to dip in the sauce.
I was a little apprehensive about cooking mussels, but this recipe definitely did not disappoint. The Mussels were succulent and the sauce was absolutely superb. I will be making this on a regular basis!
It was my first attempt at serving mussels; they turned out Fantastic!!!Thanks so much for sharing we loved them with a nice crusty bread to soak up the juices.