1/1 Photo of Mussels Portuguese Style
This is the only way my husband wants his mussels prepared; it is a regular around our house. Instead of steaming the mussels in a white wine, garlic sauce - red wine is used. Yum.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare mussels, discarding any that will not close after a light tap.
- 2Heat olive oil, or combination olive oil and butter, over medium heat in a dutch oven. Saute garlic about 5 minutes, but do not allow to brown.
- 3Add chicken broth and wine. Allow to come to a boil.
- 4Add mussels and cover. Steam about 2 - 3 minutes until shells open. Do not overcook or mussels will become rubbery. Discard any unopened shells. Garnish with fresh, chopped parsley.
- 5Serve "family style" in the pot or in individual bowls. French bread can be used to sop up sauce.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mussels Portuguese Style
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.0
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 63.5 mg
- Sodium 1033.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 29.6 g