Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is the only way my husband wants his mussels prepared; it is a regular around our house. Instead of steaming the mussels in a white wine, garlic sauce - red wine is used. Yum.
- 2 lbs fresh mussels, scrubbed and bearded
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (or olive oil and butter mixed)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup red wine
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- Prepare mussels, discarding any that will not close after a light tap.
- Heat olive oil, or combination olive oil and butter, over medium heat in a dutch oven. Saute garlic about 5 minutes, but do not allow to brown.
- Add chicken broth and wine. Allow to come to a boil.
- Add mussels and cover. Steam about 2 - 3 minutes until shells open. Do not overcook or mussels will become rubbery. Discard any unopened shells. Garnish with fresh, chopped parsley.
- Serve "family style" in the pot or in individual bowls. French bread can be used to sop up sauce.
This was very good! I love mussels, garlic and wine; especially combined like this. Had a nice loaf of french bread to sop up the delicious broth.