Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I buy "New Zealand Green Lipped Mussels" on the half shell frozen from my supermarket. They are quite reasonable, and cooked this way, I think, very delicious. They make a terrific appetizer. I developed this recipe by taking the one on the box and adding lots of extra flavour.
- Thaw the mussels.
- Drain them well, squeezing out extra liquid from the mussels.
- Put them on a cookie sheet.
- In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, butter, parsley, garlic, lemon zest, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Squeeze the lemon over the mussels.
- Put the bread crumb mixture equally on the mussels and press down a little.
- Broil for 5 to 6 minutes until the bread crumb mixture is crunchy and brown and the mussles are cooked.
- Serve and enjoy!
I made these as a kitchen counter appetizer for a weekend dinner with friends. They were very easy to put together and very tasty. One of the guests asked for the recipe. I served with extra lemon wedges on the side.