Recipe by Nelka
This one comes from Rex Hunt Fishing Adventures and the segment of Chef Lain Hewitson. I told a friend about it and she asked me to write it down. I decided someone else might like me to share it too; so, here it comes.
- 1 lb fresh mussels
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- fresh parsley (chopped)
- black pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- olive oil
- dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub the mussels very well and remove the beards.
- Take a generous bit of aluminum cooking foil, place the mussels in the middle.
- Add the onion, some parsley, black pepper to taste and the mashed garlic clove.
- Sprinkle with olive oil and a bit of wine; don’t get carried away because the mussels will let out some juice too.
- Fold up the foil into a very tight packet (‘tight’ meaning ‘well closed’); even wrap it up in a second foil sheet if you need to. NO moisture should be able to escape.
- Put in a lidded barbeque (Weber) in the direct heat of the coals (i.e. straight above them).
- Grill for 8 to 10 minutes, checking for readiness.
- Remove the mussels from the barbecue as soon as they open. Discard any that did not open.
- Serve with or without the shells with the juice on top.