1/3 Photos of Mussels Josephine
This recipe is my version of a very popular mussel dish from my favorite restaurant! The ingredient that makes this recipe so wonderful is the Sambuca, so do not leave it out! I have substituted Pernod and thought that was wonderful as well. Can be served as an appetizer or a main dish. Make sure you have plenty of crusty bread because you will want every last drop of the sauce! Enjoy! Wine Pairing: Domaine de l'Ecu Muscadet Sèvre et Maine Sur Lie 2003 with its yellow apple, lemon zest, pear and Macadamia nuts and light but creamy body is a wonderful match to the dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 dozen fresh prince edward mussels (about 2 pounds)
- 4 ounces chopped yellow onions
- 2 ounces chopped garlic
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes, juice and all (canned organic tomatoes can be substituted)
- fresh basil
- 2 ounces sambuca romana or 2 ounces ouzo or 2 ounces Pernod
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- parsley, garnish
Lemon Butter Sauce (use 3/4 cup)
- 1Coat a hot skillet with melted butter. Add the fresh Prince Edward mussels to the skillet, and cover. The steam will cook the mussels, along with the heat of the pan. It will take about 1-2 minutes to cook the mussels. You'll know when they're done when the mussels begin to open.
- 2Next, add into the pan: 4 oz chopped onions, 2 oz chopped garlic, 14 oz chopped tomatoes.
- 3Add 2 ounces of sambuca (licorice flavored liquor) - let the alcohol cook off, then add fresh basil, lemon juice and lemon butter sauce to the pan. Cook for 45 seconds.
- 4Discard any mussels that did not open. Serve in a large bowl, topped with fresh chopped parsley.
- 5Lemon Butter Sauce.
- 6Melt butter over low heat;remove from heat and let sit until the milk solids settle to the bottom; skim the clear butter from the top; discard the sediment.
- 7Sauté onion and garlic in 2 tbs of the clarified butter until transparent.
- 8Stir in lemon juice and white wine and season with salt and pepper.
- 9Simmer 2-3 minutes to reduce liquid.
- 10Remove from heat and swirl in cold butter until sauce is smooth and butter is melted.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mussels Josephine
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 693.9
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 172.1 mg
- Sodium 1147.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 39.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: