1/1 Photo of Mussels Italiano
This is another recipe from my Italian sister in law. Its good with Italian crusty bread to mop up the broth. Prep time includes soaking. Based on some queries from other chefs, I'm expanding the directions to include more information about buying, storing and cleaning mussels.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1When you bring your mussels home from the market, discard any that are chipped, broken or otherwise damaged; discard any mussel that is open.
- 2If you are not using right away, cover with damp paper towels in a container that can be tightly closed and store in the refrigerator.
- 3Just before cooking, wash the mussels in several changes of cold water.
- 4Using a small knife or a dry towel, remove the beards by pulling out towards the hinged side of the mussel.
- 5To remove any remaining sand, soak mussels for about 30 minutes in cold water containing a handful of salt and a handful of flour.
- 6Take each mussel from the bowl and using a firm brush, remove any barnacles before placing into another bowl of clear water.
- 7Melt butter in a medium sized pot; saute onions til clear.
- 8Add garlic& stir for another minute.
- 9Add tomato, oregano, salt& pepper and cook until tomato is soft.
- 10Add wine& bring to a slow boil.
- 11Dry the mussels with a clean towel, place into pot, cover & steam for 4 minutes; remove the lid & stir the mussels.
- 12At this point, most of the mussels should be open; replace the lid and steam for another 2 - 4 minutes.
- 13Discard any that don't open.
- 14Divide into serving bowls& cover with broth.
- 15If you increase the serving size for this recipe, don't add too many mussels to the pot at once or stack them on top of each other as it will make it difficult for the mussels to open due to the weight.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mussels Italiano
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.8
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 110.1 mg
- Sodium 918.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 34.5 g