- 1 lb zucchini, coarsely chopped (about 2 to 3 medium)
- 3⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaf
- 1 medium shallot, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 lbs cultivated mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
Directions See How It's Made
- Purée zucchini, basil, shallot, garlic, water, salt, pepper, and oil (in batches if necessary) in a blender until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes per batch.
- Transfer zucchini purée to a wide 6- to 7-quart heavy pot and add mussels. Bring to a simmer, uncovered, over moderately high heat, then cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mussels just open wide (check frequently after 5 minutes and discard any mussels that remain unopened after 8 minutes).