1/3 Photos of Mussels in Wine Broth
Never having cooked mussels before I saw this easy recipe. I served it to my guests who loved it. I found it so simple and yet they thought I had put so much time and effort into it! It worked a treat with raves from everyone! I use white wine but try to use a spicy one it makes the broth tastier.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Just before cooking ~.
- 2Give the mussels a good scrub and rinse to remove any excess grit, make sure that they have already had their beards trimmed (if not then trim the beards with a pair of sharp scissors.) The mussels should be firmly closed. If any are open, give them a tap and see if they close. If they do not close, discard them.
- 3Using a large pot, melt the butter over a low heat. Add the shallots, garlic, chilie, and salt (optional.) Cook gently until the onions, garlic and chilie are softened. This could take up to 5 minutes or more. Be careful to watch closely at this stage making sure the butter or the onions do not start to brown. They must be translucent.
- 4Add the wine and zest and increase the heat. Boil until reduced by half. Doing this makes a rich broth. Add the mussels and season lightly with pepper. Stir and then cover the pot with a lid.
- 5After 2 minutes check the dish. Remove the mussels that have opened and transfer to serving bowl. Keep cooking the mussels in the pot still at a boil, removing them as they open. If there are any mussels that will not open discard them.
- 6Pour the broth over the bowl of mussels, sprinkle the dish with chopped parsley.
- 7Serve mussels in separate bowls with a good serving of broth, a wedge of lemon and a slice of thick crusty bread.
- 9When you get the mussels home, remove them from any plastic and place the mussels in a bowl (this helps them to breathe.) Cover them with a clean, damp tea towel or cloth and refrigerate. Kept this way they should keep for two days.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mussels in Wine Broth
Serving Size: 1 (428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 557.5
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 137.1 mg
- Sodium 727.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 30.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of