1/2 Photos of Mussels in White Wine Sauce
This recipe is almost exactly the recipe from a restaurant that I ALWAYS order the mussel appetizer when I go there! I found this recipe on the copy cat website and am sooo thankful! These are absolutely divine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups mussels
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons yellow onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Pernod (licorice- flavored liqueur from France)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1Make Lemon Butter Sauce as follows:.
- 2Melt 4 tbsp of the butter over low heat.
- 3When melted, remove from heat and set aside for several minutes to allow the milk solids to settle to the bottom.
- 4Skim the clear (clarified) butter from the top and discard sediment. (This can be done ahead.).
- 5Now make the sauce for the Mussels:.
- 6Heat clarified butter.
- 7Add onion and garlic and saute until transparent.
- 8Add lemon juice and white wine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes to reduce liquid.
- 9Remove from heat and swirl in remaining 2 tablespoons cold butter until sauce is smooth and emulsified.
- 10Soak mussels in cold water for several minutes, then scrub with a stiff brush and remove "beard" (the little tuft of fibers protruding from the shell), either with a sharp knife or by pulling on it with a damp cloth.
- 11Rinse mussels again in cold water.
- 12Heat olive oil in a 10-inch skillet; add mussels.
- 13Cover with another 10-inch skillet or lid and cook until shells begin to open, about 2 minutes.
- 14Remove top and add onion and garlic and toss.
- 15Cover pan again and cook for 1 minute.
- 16Remove top and add pernod, basil, lemon juice and lemon butter sauce.
- 17Return to flame for 30 to 45 seconds with top off skillet.
- 18Discard any mussels that did not open.
- 19Serve warm in a deep bowl.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mussels in White Wine Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 745.9
- Calories from Fat 494
- Total Fat 54.9 g
- Saturated Fat 25.0 g
- Cholesterol 175.5 mg
- Sodium 4596.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 37.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: