- 4 lbs live mussels
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 4 large shallots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup mixed fresh herbs (such as flat-leaf parsley,chervil,or basil,chopped)
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and scrub mussels under cold water.
- Using your fingers or paring knife, remove beards (strings that hang from the mussel shells), and discard.
- In a large stockpot set over medium heat, combine wine, shallots, garlic, and salt.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add mussels, cover, and increase heat to high.
- Cook until all mussels are open, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in herbs and butter.
- Remove from heat.
- Divide mussels and broth among four bowls.
- Serve immediately.