Recipe by English_Rose
Mussels make the perfect mid-week supper as they take virtually no time to prepare and taste absolutely delicious, especially with this sweet and sour chili sauce.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh mussels
- 5 tablespoons white wine
- olive oil, for frying
- 4 red chili peppers, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 12 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely sliced
- 2⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 ounce Thai basil, roughly torn
- 1 ounce cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, quartered, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Discard any mussels that do not close when tapped. Put them in a pan with the wine, cover and bring to the boil. Steam for 5-6 minutes, until the shells have opened. Drain and discard any shells that haven’t opened.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan and add the chilies, garlic, scallions and ginger. Fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the vinegar and 2 tablespoons of the sugar to make a sticky sauce. Taste and add more sugar if required.
- Add the mussels and herbs to the pan and toss in the sauce. Serve either hot or chilled with lime wedges.