Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Make and share this Mussels in Spicy Coconut Broth recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons red curry powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a Dutch oven, and bring to a boil. Add mussels; cover and cook 5 minutes or until shells open.
- Remove from heat; discard any unopened shells. Spoon 1 1/2 cups broth mixture into each of 2 soup bowls.
- Divide mussels evenly among each soup bowl. Garnish with chopped basil.
Made this tonight for dinner guests. Ingredients were all in the pantry, didn't have red curry powder so used red curry paste. Just the right spiciness, so easy to make and allowed for a nice relaxed dinner, I made the broth ahead of time, reheated it and added the mussels. Served it with a big fresh green salad and lots of crusty bread. As we were having it for a main, I allowed 8 mussels per person plus a few more and there was still plenty of the broth to go round. Superb quality recipe Dicentra, thankyou for posting and this WILL be made again and again.