Recipe by Dib's
Last weekend I was craving mussels, but didnt have the ingredients for my favorite recipe, so I came up with this one. It's now my New Favorite Recipe. Keith's thoughts...."You can make this anytime and it wont hurt my feelings any" which translated means-GREAT! Serve with your favorite salad, I made Classic Ceasar, and a loaf of hot bread to sop up the sauce.
Top Review by Susana S.
I too only had red wine on hand and looked for a recipe for mussels and found this one! So glad!!! Was extremely delicious. I used fresh chives instead of dry since I just happened to have some in the fridge that I needed to use up anyway! Loved the spicy kick of the chili flakes, but if I were to serve this to my mother, I'd just do one Tbsp. Thanks for the recipe! Pinning it :)
- 2 lbs live mussels
- 3 cups merlot
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup dried chives
- 1⁄8 cup red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil and oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub and remove beards from mussels.
- Set Aside.
- In a large sauce pan combine the wine and butter.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium.
- Add the chives, red pepper flakes and garlic.
- Stirring often reduce volume by half.
- Return heat to high and add the tomatoes with juice, citrus juice and mussels.
- Stir once to coat and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard any mussels that have not opened.
- Ladle mussels into serving bowls and pour remaining sauce on top.
- Offer pepper at table.