Last weekend I was craving mussels, but didnt have the ingredients for my favorite recipe, so I came up with this one. It's now my New Favorite Recipe. Keith's thoughts...."You can make this anytime and it wont hurt my feelings any" which translated means-GREAT! Serve with your favorite salad, I made Classic Ceasar, and a loaf of hot bread to sop up the sauce.
- Scrub and remove beards from mussels.
- Set Aside.
- In a large sauce pan combine the wine and butter.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium.
- Add the chives, red pepper flakes and garlic.
- Stirring often reduce volume by half.
- Return heat to high and add the tomatoes with juice, citrus juice and mussels.
- Stir once to coat and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard any mussels that have not opened.
- Ladle mussels into serving bowls and pour remaining sauce on top.
- Offer pepper at table.