Last weekend I was craving mussels, but didnt have the ingredients for my favorite recipe, so I came up with this one. It's now my New Favorite Recipe. Keith's thoughts...."You can make this anytime and it wont hurt my feelings any" which translated means-GREAT! Serve with your favorite salad, I made Classic Ceasar, and a loaf of hot bread to sop up the sauce.
- Scrub and remove beards from mussels.
- Set Aside.
- In a large sauce pan combine the wine and butter.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium.
- Add the chives, red pepper flakes and garlic.
- Stirring often reduce volume by half.
- Return heat to high and add the tomatoes with juice, citrus juice and mussels.
- Stir once to coat and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard any mussels that have not opened.
- Ladle mussels into serving bowls and pour remaining sauce on top.
- Offer pepper at table.
Excellent. I bough mussels at the store and only had red wine. Looked up this recipe on line and made it quickly (reducing the wine was the longest part). Used shallots in place of chives and cooked with the butter. I thought there was too much pepper flakes and problably a heaping tablespoon would do. We needed more bread to slurp up the sauce... yum!
This was not bad but, honestly, nothing special.
this is great. you can also fry a small onion and some of the garlic on very high heat tho give it a little sharper flavor. thanks