Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This came out of a Gourmet Magazine about 8 years ago. I have tweeked the amounts used in the original recipe to suit my taste and to allow 2 meal portions. The saying is for a meal portion to allow 2lbs of mussels per person. Or you may use this recipe as a nice appetizer for 4-5 persons. It has a yummy combination of taste and I would recommend a nice crusty bread served with it to mop up the lovely lemon cream.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 shallots, minced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced small
- 4 lbs mussels
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 lemon, zested and cut into slices
- chopped parsley
- In a bowl stir together butter, garlic, shallot,1 tablespoon parsley, 4 tbsp lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a dutch oven pan melt herb butter over moderate heat. Saute until veggies are tender.
- Add mussels to pot and stir for 1 minute. Add wine, 3/4 cup cream, lemon peel, salt and pepper to taste. Stir well. Then lay lemon slices and tomato on top. Cover and simmer, until mussels are opened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove Mussels to serving dish. Discard any unopened mussels.
- In pot with mussel juices,increase heat to high and bring to boil. Boil down for 5 minutes or reduced by 1/3. Add remaining cream, 2 tbsp lemon juice and parsley. Boil one minute. Pour juice over top of mussels in serving dish.
- Serve mussels immediately.
I just mixed all the ingredients in the dutch oven,including 1/2 can petite diced tomatoes, added the mussels to the heated mixture and simmered (covered) for 8 minutes. DH and I ate THE WHOLE THING - THEN I fixed dinner !! We love them ! One caveat -- be sure to check for beards, even if the Package says "cleaned and ready to serve" - I didn't check, and it is like pulling little steel wool pads, after they have been cooked. Thanks, Expat
I prepared this for a live cooking demonstration at my work and found it only average. Don't see why you need to make the 'butter' combination first; I just sauteed it all up together. Tomatoes are listed twice but only see them mentioned as the garnish in the instructions. Next time I'd cut down on the lemon since it was a bit too strong. A lot of calories but quite easy and quick to prepare!