Recipe by Missy Wombat
From Australian House and Garden. Wine suggestion: Pinot Grigio Have this with a green salad and lots of crusty bread. Yum!
Top Review by Pets'R'us
We love mussels and enjoyed this very much!! Made sure there was enough bread for the juices and was glad I did!! I did add a chopped green chili pepper at step 5...thanks for posting Donna!
- 2 kg black mussels
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch spring onion, white potion only,chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 750 ml dry white wine
- 250 ml cream
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh herb, coarsely chopped (eg parsley with marjoram or thyme and basil or dill)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove beards and scrub mussels under cold running water.
- Discard any that remain open after handling.
- Put in a large bowl and refrigerate until needed[best if it is the same day!
- Heat the oil in a wok, add onion, spring onions and garlic and stirfry gently for a few minutes.
- Add wine, cream, lots of black pepper and tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil, add the mussels and cover with a large lid.
- Shake of stir the mussels around a couple of times until they open[about 5 minutes].
- Transfer mussels to a large bowl, leaving the cream sauce in the wok.
- Boil the sauce with the lid off over a high heat until reduced by half.
- Add herbs, then pour sauce over the mussels.
- Serve in shallow soup plates with thick slices of crusty bread to mop up the cream sauce.