Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mussels in Half Shells with Cilantro and Tomato
- 30 small mussels
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white wine
- Scrub mussels, removing any beards that may still be attached.
- Steam until they just open; discard any that remain closed.
- Pull each mussel open, being careful not to tear the shell apart.
- Onto each mussel put a teaspoon of tomato seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with bell pepper and cilantro.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and heated butter and white wine.
- Serve hot.
PAC Fall 2009: This is a very good recipe. I would have given it five stars except I was confused by the instructions. It says to steam the mussels but it doesn't say in what, so I did what I usually do for mussels, which is make all of the ingredients into a broth, bring it to a boil and then steam the mussels in the broth. The balsamic vinegar/cilantro combination is very interesting and fresh tasting. I substituted onion and garlic for the bell pepper because I'm not a fan of peppers. After the mussels were cooked, I spooned the broth over and added some additional fresh cilantro on top. Yum!