Prep 15 mins
Cook 13 mins
This is a wonderful appetizer for 4 people, or a main dish for 2 people. The original recipe came from a wonderful Spanish restaurant in Baltimore many years ago.
- 4 dozen large green mussels
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley
- 6 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 large shallot
- 1⁄8 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup clam juice
- Scrub the mussels under the faucet and remove the beards, and then set aside.
- In a 6 quart saucepot place butter, flour, wine, lemon juice and clam juice and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the mussels and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered 3 minutes or until mussels are opened. With a slotted spoon remove mussels to 2 or 4 deep serving bowls or dishes and set aside.
- Place the liquid into a blender or food processor and add the parsley, garlic cloves, shallot, salt and pepper and blend well. Pour the sauce over the mussels and serve with a French or Italian bread to sop up the wonderful sauce.
One of the best recipies out there for mussels!