Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you can't find chickpea flour you can use normal flour.
Make and share this Mussels in Chickpea and Cumin Batter recipe from Food.com.
- Combine the chickpea flour, cumin and salt in medium bowl.
- Add the egg white and water and whisk with a fork until smooth.
- Remove the mussels from the shells.
- Reserve the shells.
- Pat the mussels dry with paper towel, place in a bowl.
- Add a little extra chickpea flour to lightly coat.
- Add enough oil to a large saucepan to reach a depth of 5cm.
- Heat over high heat (when oil is ready, a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 15 seconds).
- Dip 1 mussel at a time in the batter.
- Deep-fry mussels, in 1 batch, for 3 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the mussels to the reserved shells.
- Sprinkle with sea salt flakes.
- Serve immediately.
These were nice for something different and I loved the batter itself, but wasn't 100% sold on the idea of deep-frying mussels. My GF doesn't like the 'look' of mussels and she did eat and enjoy these, while I would have preferred a more traditional steaming recipe to keep the meat a little more tender. Well worth a try though for anyone that wants to introduce mussels to anyone that's normally put off a bit by their appearance!