Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I created this in an effort to emulate a dish we liked at a local Italian restaraunt. I think it's pretty similar, but would have to eat the restaraunt version again to be sure! Either way, my boyfriend loved it...he rated it an enthusiastic A-Plus!! I live nowhere near an ocean, so this recipe calls for frozen mussels...I couldn't even begin to tell you how to modify the recipe using fresh mussels.
- 10 ounces whole wheat linguine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat margarine
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb mussels, steamed and 1/4 cup of the liqueur reserved
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cornstarch
- Saute the garlic in the olive oil and margarine over medium heat.
- Stir in the wine, lemon juice, tomatoes, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and liqueur from the mussels (keep mussels warm).
- Bring to a simmer. Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle cornstarch over top and stir in with a whisk. Stir vigorously enough to also break up the tomatoes.
- Return to a simmer and stir frequently, until sauce has thickened a little (will still be fairly thin).
- Add mussels, cover, and let simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over noodles.