Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Try adding the kernels from 2 fresh ears of corn and a pinch of sugar to the lager mixture in step 2. NOTE: recipe editor would not recognize the 3 1/2 lbs of live mussels needed for this recipe.
- 2 cups lager beer or 2 cups light beer
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 fresh green chili pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced (poblano or serrano)
- 2⁄3 cup fresh tomatoes, diced or 2⁄3 cup canned chopped tomato
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub the mussels under cold running water to remove any mud. Using a sharp knife cut away the feathery beards from the shells. Discard any open mussle that does not clamp shut when tapped with a knife. Rinse again in cold water.
- Place the lager, onions, garlic, chili, and tomatoes in a heavy-based pan. Bring to a boil. Add the mussels and cook, covered, over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until the shells open. Discard any mussel that has not opened.
- Ladle into individual bowls and serve sprinkled with fresh cilantro.