Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Try adding the kernels from 2 fresh ears of corn and a pinch of sugar to the lager mixture in step 2. NOTE: recipe editor would not recognize the 3 1/2 lbs of live mussels needed for this recipe.
- 2 cups lager beer or 2 cups light beer
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 fresh green chili pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced (poblano or serrano)
- 2⁄3 cup fresh tomatoes, diced or 2⁄3 cup canned chopped tomato
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Scrub the mussels under cold running water to remove any mud. Using a sharp knife cut away the feathery beards from the shells. Discard any open mussle that does not clamp shut when tapped with a knife. Rinse again in cold water.
- Place the lager, onions, garlic, chili, and tomatoes in a heavy-based pan. Bring to a boil. Add the mussels and cook, covered, over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until the shells open. Discard any mussel that has not opened.
- Ladle into individual bowls and serve sprinkled with fresh cilantro.
As good as any mussels I've had here in the top New Zealand restaurants! Made for the ZWT3, Mexican Challenge. Thanks, Julie.