Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This was in this mornings newspaper, I haven't tried it yet but it sure looks scrumptious!
Make and share this Mussels au Vin recipe from Food.com.
- Scrub mussels under running water and remove any beards.
- Discard mussels which remain open during handling.
- In a large saucepan combine olive oil, red pepper, garlic, shallots and pancetta.
- Cook over low heat, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and add wine and mussels.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon remove mussels as they open and place on a warm serving dish; discard any mussels that remain closed.
- Immediately add cream and parsley to the broth and simmer to reduce slightly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour hot broth over mussels in serving dish.
- Dress with chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread.
- Source: International Olive Oil Council.
After researching all the mussel recipes on the Zarr, I decided on this one and boy was my hubby glad I did! I have never eaten or cooked mussels before and was a bit nervous. Boy was it easy! My DH usually only eats dinner and this sfternoon told me he had a sub for lunch and wasn't sure he felt like mussels for dinner. Well let me tell you, he ate a full pound of mussels himself WITH a french bagette to soak up the broth. "Resturant quality" was his exact words. I followed exactly except used butter instead of oil and ommitted red peppers. Also used 1/2 & 1/2 instead of cream because thats what I had. I hope you've had a chance to make this kitina, apparenly, it is fantastic! Thanks for posting!
I did it exactely like in the instructions. For my first time doing mussels it was perfect. Cheap and so good. I used good wine... "muscadet sèvre"... not too expensive but plate lickin good!
Very Scrumptious Indeed. I followed the procedure exactly since I have never made mussels before and they were simple and easy to understand. I omitted the pancetta and the red peppers, and didn't miss them a bit. The mussels came out perfectly tender, flavored with the delicious broth. I put some fettucini in a bowl, then the warm mussels and the hot broth poured on top. My mouth is still smiling. Glad you posted this recipe.