Recipe by mozarth622
I love mussels, have eaten them in several restaurants in different states and countries. I would like to share this particular recipe because after many attempts, this is one I believe to be closer to those I preferred.
- 2 lbs of larger mussels, if possible
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 large carrot, very finely diced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley (Italian)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a frying pan, add the veggies and cook at medium for about 5 minutes. Don't let them take too much color.
- Add wine, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper, diced tomatoes, and tomatoes paste; bring to a boil and let cook another 5 minutes.
- (All this could be prepared ahead of time and brought back to a boil at meal time).
- Clean the mussels.
- Those you find open knock it against another.
- If it does not close by itself discard it--it's dead.
- Same with those that didn't open after cooking.
- Now add the mussels to the boiling sauce; cover and cook 4 minutes.
- Serve 12 mussels per person.
- Pour sauce over it. Sprinkle parsley. (Serve with good French or Italian bread). Better if you warm your plates ahead of time in oven 180°F.
- Don't forget an empty dish at the center of table for the discarded shells.