Recipe by English_Rose
I found this on another site and really enjoyed the strong flavours with the mussels. The pasta can be left out and the mussels just eaten with crusty bread for a perfect meal for two (hungry) people!
- 12 garlic cloves, minced (1/3 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole tomatoes in puree
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup drained bottled capers (1 1/4 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olives (3 oz) or 1⁄2 cup other brine-cured black olives, pitted and chopped (3 oz)
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 1 lb dried linguine
- 3 lbs mussels, cleaned
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook garlic and red pepper flakes in oil in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with puree, tomato paste, herbs, capers, olives, and wine and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes, until sauce is thick, about 15 minutes.
- Cook linguine in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente, then drain in a colander.
- While pasta cooks, increase heat under sauce to moderately high and add mussels, then cook, covered, until mussels just open wide, checking frequently after 3 minutes and transferring to a bowl. (Discard any mussels that remain unopened after 6 minutes.).
- Serve linguine with mussels and sauce.