I found this on another site and really enjoyed the strong flavours with the mussels. The pasta can be left out and the mussels just eaten with crusty bread for a perfect meal for two (hungry) people!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 garlic cloves, minced (1/3 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes in puree
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/4 cup drained bottled capers (1 1/4 oz)
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives (3 oz) or 1/2 cup other brine-cured black olives, pitted and chopped (3 oz)
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 lb dried linguine
- 3 lbs mussels, cleaned
- 1Cook garlic and red pepper flakes in oil in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes.
- 2Add tomatoes with puree, tomato paste, herbs, capers, olives, and wine and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes, until sauce is thick, about 15 minutes.
- 3Cook linguine in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente, then drain in a colander.
- 4While pasta cooks, increase heat under sauce to moderately high and add mussels, then cook, covered, until mussels just open wide, checking frequently after 3 minutes and transferring to a bowl. (Discard any mussels that remain unopened after 6 minutes.).
- 5Serve linguine with mussels and sauce.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mussels Alla Diavola
Serving Size: 1 (743 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1015.7
- Calories from Fat 345
- Total Fat 38.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 95.5 mg
- Sodium 1449.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 56.8 g