Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Steamed Mussels in a garlic wine marinara sauce with chopped clams
- 6 -8 large garlic cloves
- 4 -5 leaves fresh basil
- 1 -2 tablespoon parsley
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 tablespoon of mrs. dash spicy seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (*)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (32 ounce) canof chopped clams
- 4 lbs of cleaned mussels
- 1 lb linguine
- Combine all in mini food processor and chop until fine (not paste).
- Heat 1/2 cup olive oil in stock pot.
- Add in garlic/basil mixture and heat (do not let garlic burn).
- Add in juice from 2 lemons (or 1/3 cup of lemon juice), 1 tbs of Mrs. Dash spicy seasoning, 2 tbs butter, 1 tsp salt, good amount of black pepper, 1 tbs of oregano, and 1 tbs of red pepper flakes*, heat on high heat until bubbling.
- Stir in 1 cup of white wine and bring to boil, allow to reduce slightly.
- Stir in 1 can of crushed tomatoes and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 large can (29 oz) of chopped clams (drained-leaving some clam juice), heat to bubbling.
- When boiling, add in 4 lbs of cleaned mussels, cover and allow mussels to steam open.
- Just before serving, stir 1/4 cup parsley, thoroughly stir and heat through.
- Serve over linguini.
- For variation, toast 1-2 cups of bread crumbs, and sprinkle over pot right before serving (do not serve with pasta, since sauce will be absorbed by breadcrumbs).
- *Heat (spice) can be adjusted with less red pepper flakes, need at least 1/2-1 tsp, to max of 1 tbs.
Made this recipe with the bread crumb finish, rather than over linguini. It was delicious, well balanced seasoning. I omitted the red pepper flakes because what I had available were Rotel diced tomatoes with chili peppers. Think I'll do it that way again. Thank you, Don. This was inspired and I think will make a great dish for company.