Recipe by GinnyP
First made for us by friends, my husband has made this at home several times since. No doubt this is rich, but we can't resist having it a couple times a month when mussels are in season.
Top Review by Steph_Inouye Inouye
My review isn't showing, so I will do this again....THIS RECIPE IS DELICIOUS!! I used the entire pint of cream, and it was heaven! Definiately will make this again!!!
- 3 lbs mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter, divided
- 2 -3 shallots, chopped very fine
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, chopped very fine
- 1⁄4 cup celery leaves, chopped very fine
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped very fine
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot over medium heat, place wine and 1/4 stick butter.
- Add the shallots, garlic, celery leaves, and parsley and simmer.
- Place mussels in a bamboo steamer above the pot.
- Cover and let the mussels steam until they are all open, 10 to 20 minutes.
- When all are opened, remove and discard the half of each shell without the mussel and place the half shell with the mussels in bowls.
- During this time, reduce the mixture in the pot by 1/2 and add the remaining butter.
- When the mixture is reduced by one-half or when there is just about no more liquid at the bottom of the pot, add 1/2 to 2/3 of the whipping cream to the pot.
- (You can add the whole pint, it's personal preference.) Let the mixture come to a boil, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour the cream sauce over the mussels and enjoy!