Recipe by mermaidmagic
I learned how to cook and season mussels from a Greek cookbook I own. I've added fresh lemon juice to this mix as well and garnished with fresh parsley and lemon slices when serving guests.
- 3 lbs mussels
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub the mussels to clean.
- Remove any exposed beards.
- Note that removing the beards kills the mussels, so do not do it until you are ready to prepare the dish.
- Rinse well several times to remove any sand.
- Place the wine, shallots, garlic, parsley, thyme, salt& pepper in a large stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the mussels.
- Cover and cook until the mussels open, 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter, discarding any that did not open.
- Spoon the cooking liquid over the mussels.