Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 quart chicken broth, low sodium
- 1⁄2 white onion
- 1 (2 inch) piecefresh peeled ginger
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white part only,cracked open
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, fresh or dried
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 (13 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 pinch paprika
- rice flour, for dredging
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 dozen mussels, steamed
- 1 bunch asparagus, tips only
- 8 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 lb fresh udon noodles
- 12 pea tendrils
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped mint leaf
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaf
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cashews
- daikon sprouts, for garnish
- To prepare the sauce, simmer the chicken broth, onion, ginger, lemon grass, lime leaves, and lime juice together until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Then, add fish sauce, coconut milk, curry paste, and paprika; cook for 10 minutes.
- Season the rice flour with salt and pepper, lightly dredge the shrimp in the flour; tap off excess.
- Heat peanut oil in a skillet until very hot.
- Add the coated shrimp to the hot oil and cook about 2 minutes each side.
- Add the mussels, asparagus tips, and shiitakes.
- Cook for 2 minutes just until heated through.
- Strain the sauce over the shellfish and vegetables.
- Poach the Udon noodles in hot salted water, drain and place in a warm bowl.
- Add the shellfish sauce.
- Top with pea tendrils, herbs, cashews, and sprouts.