Adapted from NZ cookbook
Make and share this Mussel Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 30 fresh mussels (scrub and debeard)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 400 g crushed tomatoes with juice
- salt and black pepper
- Heat oil in large saucepan.
- Add chopped onion, and garlic and cook until clear.
- Add parsley and chilli and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Increase heat and add lemon juice, wine and water and bring to the boil.
- Add tomatoes.
- Bring to boil.
- Add cleaned mussels and cook covered over a moderate heat for about 5 minutes.
- Discard any mussels that have not opened.
- Remove the top shell from each mussel.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Thank you so much Evie! What a terrific way to use mussels. Dugan isn't a fan of tomato based soups but had two bowls of this. It was the nicest meal I have had in ages. Thank you so much.
Scrumptious! I used some prepared NZ mussels so didn't have the lower half of the shells for presentation but the taste was outstanding! I used a whole dried chipotle chili with seeds rather than fresh chili which made it quite spicy but chipotle was a great match for the recipe. I served along with some sliced french stick bread.