This is a classy yet simple soup from France. I have made mussel soup before but this is the best recipe. Make sure you have the freshest mussels!! Serve with a good loaf of crusty bread to soak up all the wonderful broth! To make this into an entrée add 1/2 pound of cooked pasta, such as penne. Add the pasta to the soup just before serving. This is from Mark Bittman.
- 4 lbs mussels, cleaned
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, well cleaned and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- basil, chopped for garnish
- chervil, leaves chopped for garnish
- Put the mussels, wine and shallots in a saucepan and turn the heat to high. Cover and cook, shaking occasionally, just until the mussels open, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the mussels with a slotted spoon and strain the broth; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until fragrant and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and crumble the saffron into the saucepan. Pour in the reserved mussel broth, cayenne and enough water to make 5 cups of soup.
- Add the cream, if you are using it. Bring to just a boil, then turn off the heat and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Arrange mussels in soup bowls and pour the hot broth over them.
- Garnish with basil and chervil if desired.
Absolutely amazing! This dish is pretty easy, pretty to look at and pretty dang tasty!! Please add the cream, the soup is still light and brothy, but it gives it a beautiful color and slight bit of richness. The yellow broth and red saffron threads look beautiful. The flavor is fabulous. I got 3 cups of broth after steaming the mussles and only added an additional 1 cup of water, making the total soup 4 cups before adding the cream. I thought it was perfect. Thanks susie for a great recipe I will definitely make again!