1/1 Photo of Mussel Soup
susie cooks's Note:
This is a classy yet simple soup from France. I have made mussel soup before but this is the best recipe. Make sure you have the freshest mussels!! Serve with a good loaf of crusty bread to soak up all the wonderful broth! To make this into an entrée add 1/2 pound of cooked pasta, such as penne. Add the pasta to the soup just before serving. This is from Mark Bittman.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs mussels, cleaned
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, well cleaned and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- basil, chopped for garnish
- chervil, leaves chopped for garnish
- 1Put the mussels, wine and shallots in a saucepan and turn the heat to high. Cover and cook, shaking occasionally, just until the mussels open, about 5 minutes.
- 2Remove the mussels with a slotted spoon and strain the broth; set aside.
- 3Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until fragrant and softened, about 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in the garlic and crumble the saffron into the saucepan. Pour in the reserved mussel broth, cayenne and enough water to make 5 cups of soup.
- 5Add the cream, if you are using it. Bring to just a boil, then turn off the heat and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- 6Arrange mussels in soup bowls and pour the hot broth over them.
- 7Garnish with basil and chervil if desired.
Browse Our Top Healthy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mussel Soup
Serving Size: 1 (673 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.0
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 150.2 mg
- Sodium 1378.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 55.3 g