Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Fennel gives this salad a nice crunch and zesty flavor. Cook time includes chill time.
Make and share this Mussel Salad With Fennel recipe from Food.com.
- 12 small red potatoes (1-1/2 pounds)
- 48 fresh mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 fennel bulb, with stalks (1-pound)
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons red onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, torn
- 2 cups radicchio, torn
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, quartered lengthwise
- Place potatoes in a saucepan; add water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Steam mussels in water, covered, 10 minutes or until shells open; discard any unopened shells.
- Trim tough outer leaves from fennel. Dice stalks to equal 1 cup; set aside.
- Cut fennel bulb in half vertically; discard core. Cut each half crosswise into thin slices to measure 1/2 cup, and set aside. Reserve remaining fennel for another use.
- Combine vinegar, red onion, oil, salt, pepper and garlic in a large bowl, and stir well.
- Remove 1/4 cup dressing; set aside.
- Add potatoes, mussels, fennel, and tomato wedges to the bowl; toss gently to coat. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Combine reserved 1/4 cup dressing and greens in a bowl; toss well.
- To serve, divide greens evenly among 4 salad bowls. Arrange one-fourth of mussel mixture and 2 egg quarters over each salad.