Mussel, Potato, and Tomato Salad
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven combine the mussels, water and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the mussels open. Shake the pan occassionally during cooking to redistribute the mussels.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the mussels that have opened and continue cooking the remaining mussels for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Strain the mussel liquid through several layers of dampened cheesecloth and reserve 2 tablespoons of the liquid. When the mussels are cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the shells and reserve. Discard the shells.
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, cover, decrease heat to a simmer, and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender but not mushy.
- While the potatoes cook, make the salad dressing by whisking together the green onions, dill, mustard, vermouth, white wine vinegar, reserved 2 tablespoons mussel liquid, and olive oil in a small bowl.
- When the potatoes ae done, drain them, cool slightly, and cut in half. Pour on half the dressing and toss gently.
- Place the cherry tomatoes, mussels and remaining dressing in another bowl and toss.
- To serve, divide the spinach leaves among inidividual plates and spoon the mussel mixture in the center of the plate and top with the potato mixture.