Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I found this recipe on the Geocities Website. Whipped it up for lunch today and these fritters are devine. Light and tasty and they go down a treat. The recipe notes that Basil is the secret ingredient in this recipe.
- Lightly steam mussels until they just open.
- Remove beards, take from shell and chop roughly. (Not too fine).
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, Sift in the flour and baking powder and beat with a fork to combine.
- Stir in the mussels, salt, pepper, basil and parsley.
- Melt butter over a medium heat. Drop mixture into butter and fry pancake style until golden brown, then flip and cook until golden on other side.
I have never had these before and they are delicious! So easy to make and very inexpensive! I will definitely be making these often. Made for Aussie swap #34.
From one Kiwi to another, aren't they so simple and yet so wonderful. Thanks for putting the recipe on this site. Mecnic
These are such a surprise and a fabulous brunch item! Not at all what I thought! Even picky DH kept talking about them 24 hours later, "you know, those mussel patties are really cool!" This from a man who normally won't eat a mussel! He said they looked delicious and couldn't resist! Made as directed, except I made 4 versus 6. Would definitely make 6 next time. Great flavors, and all I served them with were slices of lemon. Thanks, Kiwi Kathy! Made for Aussie New Zealand Recipe Swap.