1/1 Photo of Mussakhan (Baked Chicken on Bread) Middle East, Palestine
1 hr 35 mins
Pali's Favorites's Note:
I absolutely LOVE this dish. It can be used a side dish to a bigger meal, or a meal all in its own. Normally it is made with freshly baked Arabic Bread, but I have tried it with pita bread, since not everyone has time to make fresh bread, and it still came out great! Depending on the size of your bread would depend on how many pieces you would need. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 whole chickens, cut in pieces
- 3 tablespoons sumac
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large onions, quartered and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 -6 tablespoons olive oil, depending on how large your onions are
- 4 -6 pieces arabic bread or 4 -6 pieces pita bread
- 1Wash cut pieces of chicken, and place in a large pot and cover with water. Add salt and let boil. Remove froth from the top of pot and let the chicken boil until cooked.
- 2Mix the onions with the salt and 2 tbsp sumac, and saute in olive oil until tender.
- 3When chicken is done, remove from broth and rub with salt, 1 tbsp of sumac, and lemon juice, and brush with olive oil. Set aside the broth to cool.
- 4Place the pieces of arabic or pita bread in a baking pan, and pour some of the chicken broth you just made on top of the bread (you want to soak the bread in the broth). Turn the bread over to make sure both sides are covered. **Make sure the broth is cooled off completely, otherwise you will end up with soggy bread that you cannot pick up!
- 5Place the sauted onions with the olive oil on top of each piece of bread (depending on how big your piece of bread is will depend on how much onions you will put on each piece, but normally its about 1/2 cup for bigger pieces of bread and 1/3 cup for smaller pieces). Spread the onions out to cover the top of the bread.
- 6Place 1-2 pieces of chicken (depending on how big ur bread is) on top of the sauted onions.
- 7Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is browned.
- 8Garnish with the sauted pine nuts.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mussakhan (Baked Chicken on Bread) Middle East, Palestine
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1598.6
- Calories from Fat 1071
- Total Fat 119.0 g
- Saturated Fat 31.9 g
- Cholesterol 487.6 mg
- Sodium 1039.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 116.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: