Prep 30 mins
Cook 16 mins
In '1,000 Mexican Recipes' by Marge Poore
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 medium white onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh epazote leaves (or oregano)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- crisp corn tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, and cook the onion until softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms, epazote, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring, until all the moisture has evaporated, 3-4 minutes.
- Grease a shallow ovenproof earthenware plate or gratin dish, then transfer the mushrooms to the plate.
- Spread the cheese on top and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 6-8 minutes.
- Serve at once with the chips.