Recipe by lucid501
From "The Best of Czech Cooking". I have not tried yet, but it sounds yummy! I am posting for ZWT 3.
Top Review by schinsup1
Pretty bland overall. Did not stand out with anyone at my table last night. We all agreed it was lacking something. I might try some red pepper flakes instead of the black pepper next time. Will post back if I get favorable reviews with that substitution.
- 12 large mushrooms
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 2 egg yolks
- breadcrumbs (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Wipe mushrooms clean and cut off the stalk ends if they are dirty. Pull the stalks apart from the caps and chop the stalks finely.
- Clean the spinach and blanch it in boiling salt water for 2 minutes. Remove, squeeze dry, and chop.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Fry the bacon in a pan until well done but not crisp. Add the onion and fry until almost golden, stirring occasionally. Add the chopped mushroom stalks and fry for a few more minutes.
- Take the pot off the stove. Mix in the spinach and marjoram. Mix in the egg yolks. Add some bread crumbs if the mixture needs thickening. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the mushrooms with the stuffing, cover with grated cheese, and broil 10 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.