Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from my numero uno resource James Beard and I love this recipe. I usually put more garlic in the butter but with a mushroom base, I restrain myself a la Dr. Strangelove, so that you can taste the mushrooms also.
- 4 dozen mushroom caps, 1 inch in diameter
- 4 dozen canned snails, rinsed under cold water
- 4 -6 tablespoons butter
- chopped parsley
For the snail butter
- 1⁄4 lb slightly softened butter
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 -2 tablespoon pureed garlic, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup of chopped parsley
- First make the Snail butter: Cream the softened butter with the shallots, garlic, 1/4 cup of chopped parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute the mushroom caps in butter until just cooked through.
- Arrange on baking sheet hollow side up.
- Coat the snails with the snail butter, and place one in each cap.
- Sprinkle with additional chopped parsley.
- Heat in a 450F oven for 10 minutes and serve immediately.
Exactly like I always make my escargots!! I often sprinkle grated parmesan over the tops before I put them in the oven. Lots of garlic and butter, these are yummy!