Top Review by Sallyanne
I love mushrooms so I was anxious to try this recipe. Unfortunately it wasn't as good as I had hoped. The flavor was okay, but the texture of the wet bread was hard to stomach. I won't make this one again.
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced and sauteed in unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 8 slices bread, cut into sixths
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- additional unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 2-quart casserole.
- Lay half the bread squares in the bottom, fitting closely.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Combine sautéed mushrooms with celery, onion, green pepper, salt, pepper, and mayonnaise.
- Spread mixture over bread squares.
- Cover surface with another layer of bread squares, brush with melted butter.
- Combine milk and egg and pour over casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- One hour before serving, spread soup over surface and sprinkle with Swiss cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes to one hour or until puffed and lightly brown.