Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is much similar to what the steak house restaurants serve for a side dish. If you are a mushroom lover, then this delicious dish is a must-try! If desired chopped fresh garlic may be sauteed with the onion. This is also great served in single-serving dishes like the restaurants do, this goes great with steak! Prep time includes slicing the mushroonms.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (or more if desired, just add more butter)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the mushrooms in a skillet, with olive oil.
- Cook slowly until wilted, but not browned.
- Add in 1/2 cup butter.
- When the butter has melted, add in the flour; cook, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes, over very low heat.
- Stir in sour cream and the whipping cream with a wooden spoon, then add the nutmeg, salt and pepper(to taste).
- Continue to cook, uncovered until mixture has thickened.
- Stir in parsley.
- In another small saute pan, lightly saute the bread crumbs in 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp butter.
- Transfer the mushroom/cream mixture into a buttered shallow baking casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the top with sauteed bread crumb/butter mixture.
- Bake until mixture has set, and the bread crumbs have browned a little more.