This Hungarian recipe comes from World Vegetarian Classics by Celia Brooks Brown. Posting this for ZWT 4. Looks like a vegetarian version of a stroganoff.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms, cleaned, chopped in large chunks
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika, ideally Hungarian
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or a generous pinch)
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup creme fraiche
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- rice or pasta or noodles
- 1Heat a large saucepan over a low heat and add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the onion and cook until soft and translucent.
- 2Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper to taste, then increase the heat and stir. When the moisture from the mushrooms has been released, allow it to evaporate, concentrating the flavour. This might happen quickly or slowly, depending entirely on the type of mushrooms used.
- 3Add teh paprika and cayenne and fry for a few moments longer, until the paprika turns a shade darker. Finally, add teh sour cream or creme fraiche and dill, and allow it to bubbvle gently for a further 5 minutes or so.
- 4Serve immediately with rice, pasta or Spatzle.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushrooms Paprika - Houby Paprikas
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.0
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 40.5 mg
- Sodium 73.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: