Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Simple but irresistible. Not for dieters though...You could sub the cream for low fat crème fraiche and have toast instead of fried bread.
- 425 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 slices bread
- 50 g cheddar cheese, sliced
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with the lemon juice and leave for 5 minutes.
- Melt butter and cook the mushrooms over a medium heat for 5 minutes; add herbs, cream and a twist of black pepper;
- simmer for about 5 mins making sure the mushrooms are cooked through.
- Heat the oil and fry the bread.
- Drain and top with the mushrooms.
- Cover with cheese and grill until bubbly.