Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 mins
Tapas by Penelope Casas
- 3 tablespoons fruity olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, stems trimmed, brushed clean, cut in 1/4-inch slices (keep whole if very small)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry spanish sherry wine (fino)
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup veal broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika, preferably Spanish smoked
- 1⁄2 dried red chili pepper, seeded and crumbled (Spanish guindilla or guajillo, may sub 1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes)
- kosher salt or sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- Heat the oil in a skillet until very hot; stir-fry the mushrooms and garlic over high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Decrease heat and stir in lemon juice, sherry, broth, paprika, chile pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for 1-2 minutes; sprinkle with parsley and serve.
These were really good - very spicy, and smelled very Spanish. I think the smoked paprika is key in this. I left the broth out, since the lemon, wine and water from the cooking mushrooms provided more than enough liquid. I also used less than a tablespoon of oil. Served 3 for us.