Recipe by PanNan
This is an elegant and delicious first course for a special holiday meal or dinner party. It does require last minute prep, but it's very quick to make. I believe this was originally a Bon Apetit recipe.
Top Review by Pets'R'us
Lovely starter, the lemon gives it a lovely tang and the flavors a lift. Planning to make this as a main course, adding some milk or chicken stock to the sauce, and serve with pasta.
- 24 fresh mushrooms, 2 to 2 1/2 inch diameter,cleaned and stems trimmed (about 2 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon, rind of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup crushed crouton
Directions See How It's Made
- In 12" nonstick skillet cook mushrooms, covered, in hot butter 5- 7 minutes, stirring twice.
- Remove mushrooms with slotted spoon; set aside and keep warm.
- Stir the cream, chives, and lemon peel into the skillet.
- Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in reserved mushrooms; heat through (do not cook longer or mushrooms will thin sauce).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve: for each appetizer serving, sprinkle about 2 tsp of crushed croutons on each plate.
- Top with 3 mushrooms and about 1 tbsp of the cream sauce.