Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an elegant and delicious first course for a special holiday meal or dinner party. It does require last minute prep, but it's very quick to make. I believe this was originally a Bon Apetit recipe.
- 24 fresh mushrooms, 2 to 2 1/2 inch diameter,cleaned and stems trimmed (about 2 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon, rind of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup crushed crouton
- In 12" nonstick skillet cook mushrooms, covered, in hot butter 5- 7 minutes, stirring twice.
- Remove mushrooms with slotted spoon; set aside and keep warm.
- Stir the cream, chives, and lemon peel into the skillet.
- Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in reserved mushrooms; heat through (do not cook longer or mushrooms will thin sauce).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve: for each appetizer serving, sprinkle about 2 tsp of crushed croutons on each plate.
- Top with 3 mushrooms and about 1 tbsp of the cream sauce.
Lovely starter, the lemon gives it a lovely tang and the flavors a lift. Planning to make this as a main course, adding some milk or chicken stock to the sauce, and serve with pasta.
These are 5+++++stars! I was making other dishes that had similar ingredients but I really wanted to try this recipe and didn't want to wait to another day to make it. So I made a single serving and used the sliced sauteed mushrooms with shallots I had along with some haricots vert. I'm not always fond of whole mushrooms so if I hadn't have had them already I would have sliced the mushrooms anyway. This was so simple and sooo delicious the sauce wasn't too heavy and it the lemon and chive combo is very nice. The crushed croutons added a nice touch - I'll have to say I wanted to lick my plate! I can't wait to make them again! Thank Nan for a great recipe! Made for ZWT 5 by one of the Chefs with Dirty Faces
This was part of Menu #28651. I wondered about the bread crumbs but it does work. It was like eating a stuffed mushroom with the stuffing under it. It think it would be really festive to place the mushrooms stem side down on lots of breadcrumbs,(as if it was the forest grounds the the mushrooms were growing from it). I did use seasoned crumbs. The chives were right out of the garden giving a lot of flavor. I served as a side for ZWT5. Merci!