Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This sauce is a creamy fragrant base for cooking mushrooms. I got this recipe for my husband (who adores mushrooms) from Neelam Batra's 1000 Indian recipes.
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon white poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (1 inch) cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, any type
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- In a food processor or blender, whirl together the onion, ginger, garlic, chilies, almonds, poppy seeds and garam masala until you get a smooth consistency.
- Heat oil and add cinnamon and cardamom and cook a minute.
- Add the onion paste from above and cook until it browns.
- Add the coriander, nutmeg and salt and stir well.
- Reduce heat and add yogurt gradually, stirring constantly to prevent it from curdling.
- Stir in mushrooms, add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the sauce thickens (add more water if needed to adjust the consistency to your liking).
- Sprinkle some cilantro and serve.