Recipe by DailyInspiration
A nice Indian side dish - easy to make and full of flavor. Recipe from my Cooking School Indian cookbook.
- 10 ounches button mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, finely chopped (seeded if you like)
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, snipped for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Wipe the mushrooms with damp paper towels and slice. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and chile and cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes, until the onion is softened but not brown. Add the garlic paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, and chile powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, salt, and tomato paste and stir until the ingredients are blended. Sprinkle the water evenly over the mushrooms and reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through. The sauce should have thickened, but if it appears runny, cook uncovered, for 3-4 minutes, or until you achieve the desired consistency. Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle the chives on top, and serve immediately.